This year Darjeeling fans will have the opportunity to drink spring harvests all year round since the summer and autumn harvests were derailed due to political unrest in the region. So this is your chance to rediscover spring Darjeeling teas by joining us in welcoming two exceptional organic teas that we have selected and now offer you at incomparably great prices.
Margaret's Hope FTGFOP1 HS, first flush 2017
Its famous name and long history make this estate synonymous with Darjeeling. With every sip you take, its teas, which are among the best in the world, take you on a journey to the misty slopes of the Himalayas. Nestled in Kurseong Valley, Margaret's Hope Estate produces only orthodox-style teas, mostly from the Chinese variety of the plant.
Slightly rolled brown and green leaves that exude aromas of brisk mountain breezes, citrus fruits and green walnut hulls. The wet leaves are intensely floral, reminiscent of lemon blossoms. A translucent, golden liquor that fills the mouth lavishly, developing aromas of muscatel and apricot with some metallic notes. Almost no tartness, and a long finish.
Oaks FTGFOP1 CH, first flush 2017
The unsung diamond. One of Darjeeling's small and relatively new estates that lies on the slopes of the little town Sonada, at approximately 1500 metres above sea level. Oaks Estate produces only organic, Chinese-variety teas.
The tea leaves, brown and green with scattered silver tips, are relatively tightly rolled and have aromas of unripe fruit and forest. A golden and translucent liquor that is easy on the tongue, with just the right touch of tartness. Earthier flavours develop in the mouth, accompanied by springtime notes of fruit trees in blossom. A well-made tea, as borne out by its long, rich aftertaste.
Sit back, relax and enhance your Spring Darjeeling tea tasting with these two all-time favourite afternoon tea sandwiches.
EGG AND ROCKET SANDWICH, Downton Abbey style
Ingredients (for 4 sandwiches)
- 8 slices of white sandwich bread, crusts removed
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 bunch of rocket and some fresh spinach leaves
- salted butter
- Select only the tender leaves from the bunch of rocket. Wash and dry carefully, then finely chop.
In the meantime, boil the eggs for 6 to 10 minutes, depending on how firm you prefer them. Cool under cold running water and then remove their shells.
- Mix the egg yolks with butter and chop the egg whites into small cubes.
- Spread the egg-and-butter mixture on the one slice, then add a mix of rocket, spinach and egg-white cubes. Top with the other slice.
If you like, you can wrap the sandwiches in cling film and leave in the fridge to cool before serving them.
TRADITIONAL ENGLISH CUCUMBER SANDWICH
Ingredients (for 9 sandwiches)
- 1/2 cucumber, peeled
- 6 slices of white sandwich bread, crusts removed
- butter, at room temperature
- white pepper
- Finely slice the cucumber. Place in a sieve and add salt. Toss gently and leave to drain for half an hour
- Spread butter on the slices of bread. Place the cucumber on half the bread slices and sprinkle some white pepper on top
- Top with the remaining slices of bread, cut each sandwich into three rectangles and serve at once